Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Review - The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of BeesThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

One of the best books I've read in ages, and the first fiction by Sue Monk Kidd! The Secret Life of Bees has it all - excellent characterization, moving description, realistic dialog, and a real good coming of age storyline.

Lily Owens learns about love and forgiveness when she finds her way into the home of three black beekeeping sisters in Tiburon, South Carolina. It’s set against a civil rights backdrop in the 1960s, and captures many of the emotions surrounding this turbulent and misunderstood time.

What I liked best about The Secret Life of Bees is the writing itself. Sue Monk Kidd delivers very well developed characters and outstanding description. The people are as real as if they lived down the road, and the description vivid. I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

therapydoc said...

I was looking at blogs on Technorati and your title looked interesting. I loved that book. And the singing intervention, She'll be coming around the mountain. . ., well, if you know the song, is so great.

Sheryl Lynn said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on the blog! I visited your blog and find it interesting too. I'll look forward to reading more.

ShareThis