Thursday, March 24, 2011

Your Story - A Poem

Recently, my daughter was given an assignment to write a poem following the format of the Mother to Son poem by Langston Hughes. The theme was "life" and metaphor was required. What she wrote is so beautiful, that I had to share it here.

Your Story
by Katherine Tuttle

Well, Grace, I'll tell you:
Life is your story written in ink.
It has misspelled words,
And pages missing.
There will be times when you don't know what to write,
And there will be times when your pen runs out of ink -
Dry.
But don't quit writing.
I've been correcting my mistakes,
And I've been turning and filling up my pages.
Keep writing because if you do,
You will be able to cross out your mistakes, or tear out the page,
And start the chapter over again.
Grace, don't stop writing.
Don't let the jumbled sentences get in your way.
Keep going.
Don't let your story be unfinished.
Don't put your pen down yet
Because your story is still ahead of you.
That is life, your story written in ink.


3 comments:

Elayna said...

I love it! you should type it up and have it framed...
I guess K is taking after her mama

Anonymous said...

I am blown away! beautifully done! I am throughly impressed, and I love the reference to Grace.

Sheryl Lynn said...

Thank you for the comments. Elayna, that's a good idea about having it framed.

Anonymous - thank you too. Just an FYI, Grace is her little sister. But the poem is also so true in that it is through the grace of Jesus Christ we are able to cross out our mistakes or tear out the page - we are forgiven - and keep living our lives as we are called to live. :)

ShareThis