Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Book Review – A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

One of the reasons I think I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns so much is because one of his characters, Mariam, was born around the same timeframe that I was. Her life is a stark contrast to my life, and while I know this book is fiction, I have to believe that the lives and lifestyles depicted in this tale are realistic.

This is a story of two women – their hardships, their hope, and their strength. It is a story that brings to light the injustice inflicted upon Afghanistan women, and the heartache and sacrifices that many must endure.

Khaled Hosseini is a tremendously talented writer. Not only are the worlds of Afghanistan and the United States completely different, but the worries and concerns, and our lifestyles, are poles apart. Yet, through his gifted storytelling and his unique characters, Khaled makes apparent how we are also very alike.

This book is 5 stars - a great read!




0 comments:

ShareThis