Here it is, and in no particular order, the top nine reasons I love to work at home (WAH).
- Flexibility – I can select the hours I work, within reason. I still have to work business hours for certain tasks while other activities can be done non-business hours.
- Availability – While my family understands and knows not to disturb "mom" when she's working, it's still comforting to know I am very quickly available in the event of an actual emergency.
- Time – The time I would normally have had to spend on the road getting to work is time I can actually spend working.
- Introvert – I'm an INFJ and the I stands for Introvert. It's not that I don't love people, I do, but socializing takes energy. I enjoy people and getting together, even at business meetings, but I am completely exhausted afterwards. I'm much more energetic when I work independently from home.
- Cost Savings – Lots of savings here as I don't have to spend money on a business wardrobe, gasoline for the car, or after school care. Not to mention the automobile repair savings through less wear and tear on the car.
- Pajamas – Or sweats, or shorts and a t-shirt, or hair in a ponytail, make-up or none – you get the picture. I don't have to dress up for work, and I can be as comfortable as I like.
- Convenience – At lunch, I can throw on a load of laundry, unload the dishwasher, or whatever else might need done around the house.
- Autonomy – There is no boss standing over my shoulder or sitting in the corner office. I am independent, self-motivated, and responsible for my success or failure.
- Kids – The best reason to me is that I am home when the kids are home. And although I am working, I can still monitor their activities, make sure they get their homework done, check in on them, and more.
OK, what have I missed? I need your help coming up with the tenth good reason to WAH.