Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Citizens Responsibility and the Impeachment Survey Results

The Impeachment survey is closed, and following are the results. With just 15 people taking part in the poll, 73% voted yes, 20% voted undecided, and 7% voted no. Here's a snapshot (reduced in size to fit this page, hopefully you will be able to read it).


Of the biggest concern to me is the 20% that voted undecided. As citizens of this great country we have a responsibility to care about matters that effect our democracy. That's what a democracy is all about – government of, by, and for the people.

I recently read a fantastic article written for Livingston Weekly by Reilly Neill. He talks about our constitution and the intent of its framers. Following are some excerpts that really stood out to me.

…no commander in chief would ever be "above the law." The framers …may have failed to envision a future where the public cared little about their responsibility to contribute to a functioning democracy…

… our government has been hijacked, and someone (most likely the American people) will have to take it back with a fight.

…The founding fathers believed in us, and left us a rich and dynamic legacy in the Constitution of the United States…each citizen must fight to keep our democracy alive in Washington by holding our representatives accountable to governing with integrity.

…we must become the fail-safe the founders of this country intended us to be.

…we
are our only hope…

Enough said, but read the whole article if you get a chance and as always, please feel free to share your comments.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. We need to hold our representatives accountable. The question is....HOW? I've written to my representatives. I've signed petitions. I keep informed as much as I can. But it seems that our government has abandoned us. The responses I've received are such whitewashed BS. All I can do is keep trying, and if I don't get results I like, remember this at the polls. Until then....any suggestions?????

ShareThis