Tuesday, October 30, 2007

No Bandwagon Here

Recently a friend told me to "jump off the bandwagon." I won't go into the topic, but what bothered me was that she thought I was on a bandwagon at all. Then I got to thinking, why should that bother me and why can't I let it go.

I avoid confrontation and I avoid conflict. My being on a "bandwagon" implies a cause, which means I am exhorting my thoughts and beliefs on others. But I don't do that. How can this be?

My parents are probably the most ethical people I've ever known. They don't lie, they don't steal. They do unto others as they would be done, treating people with kindness and respect. They are not pushy and they are not prejudiced. They are really good people. But there was plenty of conflict growing up, and it was something I never learned to be comfortable with. I always preferred tranquility, at any cost, and I always strived for peace.

It has occurred to me that this is exactly one of my problems in writing. I have trouble creating enough conflict and letting it stir. I'm too quick to resolve the conflict and have life go on, which is (yawn)…boring! At least so for a story.

So thanks to my friend, I will focus more on the conflict in my stories. By being aware, hopefully I can escalate the tension and write stories that are full of emotion and exciting.

0 comments:

ShareThis